G557:2009 Standardised Mobile Service Area and Location Indicator Register
G557:2007 (.zip, 3621 KB)
List of SMSA and ABC Codes 22Apr09 (.xls, 39 KB)
List of Adjoining SMSA Codes 03Jul02 (.xls, 86 KB)
The Standardised Mobile Service Area (SMSA) and Location Indicator Register is a pack of 5 compressed files (3,621KB) that define the SMSAs for use in the interim signalling of mobile caller location and 3 digit 'ABC' codes for caller location. These files were prepared in MapInfo (TM) and you will need relevant software to be able to read/view the files. For those unable to view map files there are also some spreadsheets with summary information available from this webpage.
G557:2009 replaces G557:2007 and complements G629:2009 Location Independent Communications Service Location Indicator for Emergency Services Signalling Specification.
An associated document G606:2002 Standardised Mobile Service Area (SMSA) Register - Management Processes is available for download. It defines the processes and procedures relating to the management of the SMSA Register.
G557:1990 (.zip, 3,241 KB) was a set of 46 compressed files that defined the SMSAs. It complemented G530:1999 Mobile Location Indicator for Emergency Services and G532:1999 Mobile Location Indicator - 13/1300/1800.
In 2002 ACIF updated and published several component files in G557 as G557:2002 supplement (.zip, 924 KB). These files replaced the corresponding files in G557:1999.
At the same time in 2002, two spreadsheets were made available for download:
- a list of all SMSA and ABC Codes (38KB); and
- a list of all SMSAs and the respective Codes that adjoin each SMSA (86KB).
In 2006 the spreadsheet with the list of SMSA Codes was updated and published. This modified the description of existing '98x' and '99x' ABC codes (used for VoIP, nomadic and fixed services) and made no changes to ABC codes for calls from mobiles. Therefore the spreadsheet with the list of adjoining SMSA Codes was not affected by the modifications.
In 2007 Communications Alliance updated the maps to remove unnecessary information. There was no change to the 3 digit ABC codes or to the list of adjoining areas.
In 2009 Communications Alliance updated the list of SMSA and ABC Codes to:
- replace “For Nomadic Services” with “For Location Independent Communications Services” as the heading for the 3 digit ‘ABC’ codes 98x for consistency with the amended Telecommunications (Emergency Call Service) Determination 2002;
- explicitly define as “Unallocated” the previously unallocated 3 digit ‘ABC’ codes within existing ranges of codes; and
- add “QLD” as the State/Territory field for the 3 digit ‘ABC’ code 565.