Satellite Services Working Group (SSWG)
The Satellite Services Working Group represents and advances the interests of Communications Alliance members involved in the delivery of satellite-based network and facilities services on a wholesale and/or retail basis.
Terms of reference (Download, .doc 19KB)
Participation is open to Communications Alliance members, including but not limited to service providers engaged in:
- operation of in-orbit satellites – including station-kept, MEO and LEO spacecraft
- manufacturing of satellites and/or ground-segment equipment
- provision of launch services and TTC&M services
- wholesale provision of satellite network services
- retail provision of satellite-based services to business and consumer markets
- installation of satellite customer equipment and network equipment
- provision of legal or consulting services to the satellite sector
Membership is limited to organisations or individuals who are members of Communications Alliance, but the SSWG may decide to establish links with non-members organisations or individuals, including the Australian Space Policy Unit (SPU). The Group establishes sub-groups to work on specified issues as they arise.
The Group’s areas of initial activity include:
- advocacy on behalf of the satellite sector, including via input to State and Federal Government policy development and Inquiries, and through representation of satellite sector interests on the ACMA’s Radiocommunications Consultative Committee (RCC)
- participation on the ACMA Australian Radiocommunications Study Group 4, Satellite services (ARSG 4)
- contributing to the ACMA spectrum management planning work program, including their Five-year Spectrum Outlook 2012-2016
- general promotion of the role and importance of satellite services for Australia through the Satellite Industry Promotion Campaign
- liaison with NBN Co on operational and commercial issues relating to the satellite-based components of the National Broadband Network
- expert input into the creation or revision of Communications Alliance Codes, Guidelines and Standards that have implications for satellite-based services
- collaborative activities to foster the development and growth of the satellite sector in Australia and to resolve technical or commercial issues of common interest
- monitoring of international standards work relevant to the Australian satellite sector
Orion Satellite Systems (OrionSat)
Satellite Technology – A Special Report
The Satellite Services Working Group initiated the publication of a six-page special report on the Australian Satellite Sector, which was published in The Australian newspaper on 29 October 2012. The report showcases Australia’s place in the history of satellite communications and provides an informative guide on the different types of satellites and satellite applications and how they benefit the lives of Australian consumers and businesses on a daily basis. The report can be downloaded from the links below.